The article "Protest in an Information Society: A Review of Social Movements and New ICTs," made me consider the power of social networks in the organization of protests. Organizers around the world use Twitter, Facebook and other social media to spur thousands of potential protesters into action at a moment's notice. Raves also exemplify the power of the organizational aspects of social networks, although on what is typically a much smaller scale than the many times violent political protests that happen around the world. Having been in the middle of a rave, I have seen what can be accomplished through the effective use of social media.
Before December 3, 2009, the closest I had ever come to experiencing a rave was through YouTube videos and news clips on television. At the time, I was a new employee working the evening shift in the Reference Department at the UT Chattanooga library. Around 8:00 I noticed an unusually large, steady stream of students working their way into the library. After much of the first floor was crowded with students, the excitement level in the room began to build quickly, finally culminating in a chaotic, floor shaking, show of unbridled youthful exuberance that, frankly, scared the hell out of me. There are several videos on YouTube that document the event, one of which can be seen here. Although the rave was not as large as some that happened across college campuses that year, it was large enough for me to get a fairly good idea of how they work. It also marked my YouTube debut, as the student taking the video was standing by the reference desk just to my right. I can be seen at the 34 second mark. Occasionally I look back at that video and think, "Wow, I've aged alot in four years!" But more importantly, I realize that no matter the reason, whether it is to let loose following exams or to fight for one's individual human rights, social media is a powerful tool for the quick organization of public demonstrations.
This is a great story Will on how social media can be a very democratic experience for society today. News is no longer controlled entirly by a priviliged few. My question is this. What becomes more of a driving force; the social or political protest or the energy that the "Rave" itself contains? I think this question will continue to be posed in light of events such as the Arab Spring. Most Egyptians seemed energized by the movement as it played out both on the streets and on the internet. However a majority today would say that the cause itself has not proved worthy in light of the sacrifices made in blood and treasure.
ReplyDeleteHey Will,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story and I agree with Garth-it is a great example of how social media really can dictate society. I also agree with Garth on the question-is it the "rave" or the political action that drives the protest. I would say it starts out with politics but ends with passion...anyway great story this week. I thought you did a nice job capturing the idea of the article and as I read through your blog I started to think about some of the past's worst world protests and how social media could have really influenced or documented the outcomes. What would have happened if Tiananmen Square or the Berlin Wall protests would have had camera phones with streaming video? I wonder if more people would have joined in from other parts of the world through social media sites? It is really a very interesting topic with TONS of potential questions. NIce work this week
Social Media is taking over news media as a whole I think. Whether this is for positive or negative events it has become a way for people to quickly become aware of events that are happening around the world and react according to their beliefs. Government's involvement in this social media revolution is slowly catching on. This has been a great benefit for government to find quick ways to respond to events, learn about events that are going to happen and even stop the ones that could cause harm. There is a lot of positive effects of social media in respect to government; not only can they get information out to citizens they can also get information from citizens.
ReplyDeleteI would have thought that this was more a Flash Mob than a rave. Reading your post, I was thinking, "What? They were raving in the library." Social Media and mobile technology definitely can connect a bunch of idiots together easily and quickly unless you are like that guy in the commercial who flash mobs alone due to his lesser network. Is this ability to be spontaneous and connect with other with such ease a good thing? Hey everyone. Just in case you missed the Tweet, all 500 of my followers are meeting at the Sculpture Garden to wreck some stuff. Art, my foot. I just think that with this availability we need to take more responsibility in its use.
ReplyDelete