The article "Winds of Change: Libraries and Cloud Computing" touches on a subject that I have been extremely interested in over the past few months. Specifically, I have been looking at the viability of introducing web-centric Chromebooks into libraries. While researching the topic, I came across a report published by the State Library of Ohio. The report gave the findings of a trial performed in fall 2012 when ten Chromebooks were placed in three libraries in the central region of the state. The libraries were chosen as they represented three distinct demographic areas: urban, suburban, and rural.
The experiment resulted in several interesting findings, some of which reinforce the value of using the web based devices. One of the main advantages is their cost, between $199 and $250, although there are some that are more expensive. Another advantage is their ability to personalize the user's experience. All a library patron need do after checking out a Chromebook is to log in with a Google account, and his bookmarks, documents, and applications are available to him. People may say that this functionality is also available on a standard laptop PC with the Chrome browser installed. However, using Chrome on a PC requires patrons to log onto the computer (if the library requires patrons to log onto their machines) as well as log into the Chrome browser. This can become a privacy issue if a patron does not log out of the browser when he is finished with his session. Chromebooks require one login, and logs out automatically when the laptops are closed or the machines are shut down.
The negative aspects of Chromebooks mentioned in the Ohio Library's report deal primarily with the lack of ability to run applications such as those included in the Microsoft Office, Libre Office, and Open Office suites, although Google covers these areas with its ever evolving online applications. Probably the biggest issue however is printing. Chromebooks simply do not work with network printing the same as other laptops. Because of Google's emphasis on making the devices usable in almost any environment, the printer issue will, more than likely, be remedied eventually.
Libraries have much to gain by offering Chromebooks to their patrons. A recent Forbes article sheds more light on the Chromebook and how it is gaining a foothold in the laptop market. As stated in the article, the market is changing quickly, and an affordable cloud-based machine presents an enticing alternative to traditional PCs in financially strapped areas such as academia.
Once again I leave it to you Will to point out the positive in the ever growing digital library marketplace. I like the services that Chromebooks provides but I had to laugh when I read your comments regarding the incompatibility between Google and Microsoft. I own a Google Nexus and I find it rather irritating how often I have to buy an app from the Google store in order to simulate something that Microsoft was providing back with Windows 95. Okay, I am sure I am exaggerating just a bit but you get the point...
ReplyDeleteHey Will,
ReplyDeleteWow-another great essay this week. I had no idea about the chromebook idea that was going around. I thought your ideas were very positive and presented us with a new idea of this digital library phase. I commented on Taylors with the thought of how far we have come since basic print was invented-but I guess that likes anything else. This class and the readings really make some of the common things that we are use to up to the forefront and just flat out makes your think how life has changed. I do think the chromebook idea is very clever. Nice job
Well, well, well, imagine that. Google is providing people with a device that stores all of their information on the cloud, and they can access anything with their login. What I do not understand is why the fact that the Chromebook "doesn’t keep cookies, browsing history, and other dirty little fingerprints that tell where the user has been." is so great. All of that information may not be on the machine, but, as we all know, Google is definitely keeping track of every mouse click you are making, and they will store this information as well as the information you are saving in the cloud all together under your name. Just another way for Google to get data on you to "optimize" their engine.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post Will. I had not read up on Chromebook yet although I keep seeing it advertised. I had assumed it was just an inexpensive laptop, but now I see why. I can certainly see the appeal of it in an education environment especially with its limited hard drive. I was completely taken aback recently when we were surplussing equipment in my library. Even though the desktops are set up to erase all sessions and not store anything on the hard drive from users the hard drive still had to be removed from each unit and destroyed. This is to ensure that no private data is exposed. It seemed like a horrible waste to me when that data was not suppose to be captured in the first place. I suppose it is an abundance of caution. Perhaps with Chromebooks this would not be an issue.
ReplyDeleteI have a love/hate relationship with Google. I use many Google products, but I am still a bit wary of how my data is stored and handled. If you are really worried though they do have "incognito" mode. I do enjoy their snarky humor:
"You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close all open incognito windows. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.
Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:
Websites that collect or share information about you
Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
Surveillance by secret agents
People standing behind you"